Sunday, September 8, 2013

Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork #SundaySupper

Sunday Supper MovementIt's time for football. It's time for tailgating. Both of those things means it's time for eating!It's also time for Sunday Supper. This week's theme is Tailgating and is hosted by the lovely Lane at Supper For A Steal. I had the fortunate pleasure of meeting her at the Food & Wine Conference.
I love football. I come from a football-watching, TV-yelling, ticket-buying, smack-talking football family. We usually watch college football on Saturdays and Philadelphia Eagles and/or Carolina Panthers on Sundays. In general, we as a family are not tailgaters. But I'm a tailgater. If I'm not at home watching UNC-Chapel Hill or East Carolina, I'm at BB&T Field tailgating with my friends, trying to see who can scream BLACK and GOLD the loudest (or drink the most).

Tailgating is code word for eating and drinking. Back in 2009, I was practicing both code words to the best of my ability at a Carolina Panthers game and I broke my arm

Oops!

This time around, I'm just going to stick to what I know best and make the food. I'm going to start the season off right with this Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork.


What is Cheerwine you ask? It's a cherry soda that is manufactured in the Carolinas. It's been enjoyed by Carolinians since 1917 and in recent times, it's been distributed in other states in the South and New York. It's like the a wishniack or a cherry-flavored Dr. Pepper, but with much more juiciness and flavor.

Also very Carolinian, is BBQ pork. BBQ, barbeque, barbecue--however you spell it, it's NOUN down here. Not a verb. We use the pork shoulder here in the Piedmont (Western part of the state), as opposed to the whole hog in the Eastern part of the state. The pork shoulder is also called a Boston Butt. Or--a pork butt.


I like to take my slow cooker to the football field. Everyone loves a good Crock Pot recipe! I add Cheerwine (or other cola-based drink) to help break the pork down and keep it juicy and sweet; a few chipotles to make it spicy and ketchup to give the BBQ a little tang.

Put a little South in your mouth with this recipe!

Cheerwine BBQ Pork
Yield: 32 servings

4 lb Boston pork butt (also known as a pork shoulder)
2 cabbage leaves, torn
2 cups tomato ketchup
6 chipotle peppers with 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce
32 oz. (4 cups) Cheerwine
Rolls or buns of choice
Place the cabbage leaves in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Place the pork butt on top of the cabbage (fat cap side up) and add the ketchup, the chipotle peppers, pour the Cheerwine on top and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or on low for 8 hours).

Halfway through the cooking time, flip the pork butt over.

After the initial cooking time is over, very carefully remove the meat and the cabbage leaves from the slow cooker and place on a large cutting board or platter. Discard cabbage leaves (or eat them as a snack) and shred the pork by using two forks, pulling the meat and the forks away from each other. The meat should be very tender at this point.  Place the shredded pork back into the slow cooker and continue to cook for an additional hour. Top onto your roll or bun of choice and serve.


To get more ideas for tailgating recipes and visit other bloggers committed to the Sunday Supper Movement, look below:

Sunday Supper Movement  

Warm Ups (Appetizers):
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.

17 comments:

Lane said...

I've made Dr Pepper pulled pork, but I have a case full of Cheerwine and I think I need to try it like that. My dad and brother in law are Cheerwine fanatics! They would love it.

Jennifer@ Peanut Butter and Peppers said...

Yum! Looks so good! I can imagine how wonderful the flavor is!!

Cindys Recipes and Writings said...

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered to help mend your arm! ;)

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes said...

Oh Nik this sounds amazing. I have always wanted to try Cheerwine...
I can't believe you broke your arm all those years ago at a game! Glad that DIDN'T happen now!
This looks delicious so I'm glad you focused on the food!! ;)

Megan Wood said...

I love this!! I always do different pulled porks in my crock pot and have used multiple sodas, but never thought to use cheerwine!

Family foodie said...

Oh my goodnes... the hazards of tailgating can be cruel! I love this recipe and can't wait to try it!!!!

Stacy said...

Pork butt makes the best barbecue, doesn't it? I have never heard of Cheerwine so I will have to look for it next time I am in the States. What a great dish! Never mind the bun. I'll just sit there next to the crock pot and eat your pulled pork with a spoon.

Renee said...

I've never heard of Cheerwine and I'm not sure it available in my area. Nice to know I could substitute other colas. It looks like a crockpot full of goodness.

Jen @JuanitasCocina said...

I'm on a mission for Cheerwine...which I think would make me feel very cheery after seeing this pork!

Kim @ Treats and Trinkets said...

I love pulled pork, and it sounds amazing with that cherry soda! I must find some

Sarah Reid said...

My grandpa would have LOVED this... he was a huge fan of pork and cheerwine!

Courtney @ Neighborfood said...

Haha! This post cracked me up. I can't imagine what you were doing, but only true fans break their arms in the process of cheering. :) This looks fabulous. Now I feel the need to drive about 10 hours south to get some of that cherry soda!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons said...

Cheerwine sounds awesome, and so does this pulled pork! I love how there are still so many regional colas out there.

Conni Foodiearmywife Smith said...

I haven't seen Cheerwine in years! I imagine it makes a pretty good bbq sauce!

Anne @ Webicurean said...

I don't think I've ever seen Cheerwine in NorCal, but I could probably sub in Dr. Pepper, no? This sounds really good (and crock-pot easy)!

Jennifer Hughes said...

I wanted to invite you to the Friday Flash Blog Party, the best linky in town! I hope you'll join us and link up. Who knows. You may just get highlighted!

The party goes on ALL weekend.

Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
www.thejennyevolution.com

Michelle Nahom said...

How delicious does this look?!! We don't have cheerwine so I guess I'll have to sub something else but definitely trying this recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...